Icy and snowy conditions are some of the most dangerous conditions causing slip and fall accidents. Slick surfaces on sidewalks, outdoor steps and parking lots can be hazardous for you and your loved ones, especially if the hazardous condition is not obvious, as is the case with black ice. Here are some slip and fall statistics to make you more knowledgeable in the future.
- Fall fatalities are nearly equally divided between men and women
- Falls are the primary cause of lost time at work
- 5% of falls result in fractured bones – the most common injury
- 50% of all accidental deaths at home are due to falls
- Falls are the leading cause of non-fatal medically treated injuries in the U.S.
- Between 20% and 30% of people experience an injury after falling including lacerations, hip fractures, or head traumas
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries
If you or a loved one was injured after slipping and falling on an icy sidewalk, please come to AFC Urgent Care North Bergen immediately for you a thorough check-up.